Dropdown List Selector
Dropdown List Selector enables dynamic behavior to dashboards by allowing users to make selections that affect charts and other components in the dashboard. Thus, the Dropdown List Selector can be used to set parameters for the calculations in charts. The Dropdown List Selector is usual dropdown list where user can select a value from a list of predefined values.
The dropdown list is linked to other components of the dashboard using variables: The selected value is stored to a variable, which is used by the other components. To make the behavior work, the variable needs to be configured both to the dropdown list and the charts using it. For charts, variables are bound using either variable mappings or directly using tags in custom expressions (e.g. <#tagName>).
The Dropdown List Selector can be configured flexibly based on any data in the model, and the contents of the list updates automatically when the model data changes. Note that the Dropdown List Selector is not directly related to the filters of the dashboard (for filtering, use the Case attribute filter or Event type filter components).
Adding to Dashboard
The Dropdown List Selector is added to a dashboard by activating the Add component mode and clicking the Dropdown List Selector in the tool palette. Mandatory settings for the Dropdown List Selector are Variable name and List items for the Dropdown List Selector to be shown. When adding the Dropdown List Selector, also the linked variable needs to be defined to the dashboard as follows:
- When in dashboard designer in the Edit mode, click the dots menu on top right and click Dashboard Properties.
- Open the Variables tab.
- Define a name for the variable in the available textbox. The name can be chosen freely.
- Set the behavior to be Stored variable. (When using this behavior, the selected value in the dropdown list is stored to the dashboard when the dashboard is saved.)
- Click the Done button on top right.
- The variable needs to be defined also to the Dropdown List Selector settings in the Variable name field.
- Save the dashboard.
Dropdown List Selector has the following settings:
- Title: Explaining title (label) for the dropdown list that is visible in the dashboard. If no title is defined, an automatic title is derived based on the chosen List items .
- Analyzed objects: Types of objects where the List items are derived. Based on this selection, there are different options available for the List items and 1. measure. The Analyzed objects selection works similarly as the same selection in charts.
- Sorting: Defines a column based on which items are sorted in the list. The 1. dimension means sorting based on the List items.
- Maximum rows: Maximum number of items shown by the list. This setting can be used to show only the most important items. Note that the list can smoothly show maximum of couple of thousand of items, so the maximum rows limitation is also needed from the dashboard performance viewpoint.
- Variable name: Name of the variable that is linked to this dropdown list. When user makes a selection in the dropdown list, the selection is stored to the variable.
- 1. measure: The dropdown list can optionally show aggregated/summarized information for each of the shown item in parenthesis. When the first measure is selected, possibility to define a second measure appears. The measures work similarly as measures in charts.
- List items: Select what kind of items the dropdown list is showing. There are variety of options to choose from, and the options depend on what has been selected as the Analyzed objects. This selection is similar to the dimension selection in charts.
- In addition, there are the same layout settings available as in charts.